Whether you are transitioning to a cleansing lifestyle or simply want to be more knowledgeable of which foods to consume to improve digestion and overall health these are good guidelines to follow.
Maintenance Nontoxic Diet Guidelines
- Eat organically grown wherever possible.
- Drink filtered (or properly purified water).
- Eat a natural, seasonal cuisine, focusing on fresh foods as much as possible.
- Focus foods on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds.
- If dairy and meat are part of your diet focus on low-or non-fat dairy products (particularly organic yogurt), fresh fish (not shell fish), organic poultry, and wild game such as buffalo.
- Rotate foods, especially common allergens such as milk products, eggs, wheat, and yeast foods.
- Cook in iron, stainless steel, glass, or porcelain cookware. Avoid Tefflon and other fabricated non stick finishes
- Avoid or minimize cured meats, organ meats, refined foods, canned foods, sugar, salt, saturated fats, coffee, alcohol, and nicotine.
Foods to Include during a Cleanse
- Dairy substitutes: Rice and nut milks such as almond milk and coconut milk.
- Non-gluten grains: brown rice, millet, amaranth, teff, tapioca, buckwheat, potato flour, quinoa, gluten-free oats.
- Fruits and vegetables: unsweetened fresh or frozen whole fruits, water-packed canned fruits, diluted fruit juices, and raw, steamed, sautéed, juiced or roasted vegetables.
- Animal proteins: fresh or water-packed fish, wild game, lamb, duck, organic chicken, and organic turkey.
- Vegetable protein; split peas, lentils, and legumes.
- Nuts and seeds: walnuts; sesame, pumpkin and sunflower seeds; hazelnuts; pecans; almonds; cashews; nut butters such as almond or tahini.
- Oils; cold-pressed olive, flax, safflower, sesame, almond, sunflower, walnut, canola, and pumpkin.
- Drinks: filtered or distilled water, decaffeinated herbal teas, seltzer or mineral water.
- Sweeteners: brown rice syrup, agave nectar, stevia, fruit sweetener, and blackstrap molasses.
- Condiments; vinegar; all spices including sea salt in moderation, pepper, basil, carob, cinnamon, cumin, dill, garlic, ginger, mustard, oregano, parsley, rosemary, tarragon, thyme, and tumeric.
Foods to Exclude or Minimize during a Cleanse
- Dairy and Eggs, even organic.
- Butter and mayonnaise.
- All processed foods: boxed cereals, frozen meals with additives, bread, canned goods.
- Gluten including sources from bread and grains including wheat, corn, barley, spelt, kamut, rye, and oats.
- Certain fruits and vegetables: oranges, orange juice, corn, creamed vegetables,
- Animal protein in the form of pork, beef, veal, sausage, cold cuts, canned meats, frankfurters, and shellfish.
- Soybean products such as soy sauce, soybean oil in processed foods, tempeh, tofu, soy milk, soy yogurt, and textured vegetable protein.
- Peanuts and peanut butter.
- Specific oils: shortening, processed oils, commercial salad dressings, and spreads.
- Drinks: alcohol, all coffee, caffeinated beverages, and soft drinks.
- Sweeteners: white and brown refined sugars, honey, maple syrup, high-fructose corn syrup, and evaporated cane juice.
- Condiments: ketchup, relish, chutney, barbecue sauce, and teriyaki sauce.